When a fire alarm company contacts our dispatch center (Johnston County E-911 Communications) and they dispatch us, we have to respond to the incident for insurance purposes. Sometimes, the dispatcher will inform us that the alarm company has requested to cancel, and at that time the Officer in-charge will inform the additional responding apparatus to cancel and the closest unit will respond to the incident. When we arrive we check for things such as:
- Ensure the alarm system functioned correctly
- Ensure a fire that has been extinguished has not spread to an adjacent area
- Ensure no malicious acts are being done (starting a fire and then telling the alarm company to cancel the fire department)
- Ensure the area doesn't need to be ventilated
- Depending upon damage (even from small fires), insurance companies sometimes require a fire report
- Answer any questions the homeowner/resident/business owner has.