Building Permit Required
No person or corporation shall locate, erect, construct, enlarge, alter, repair, demolish or relocate any building, or change the type of occupancy without first obtaining the required permits for the specific work from the Inspections Department having jurisdiction.
Building permits are not required for:
- Nonstructural work where costs is less than $15,000 in any single-family residence.
- Farm buildings outside the jurisdiction of any municipality.
- Residential accessory structures where no dimension exceeds 12 feet.
- The replacement of windows, doors and exterior siding in residential structures.
- The replacement of pickets, railings, stair treads, and decking of residential porches and exterior decks.
Electrical Permit Required
An electrical permit is required for the installation, extension, alteration, or general repair of any electrical wiring, devices, appliances, or equipment except that in any one or two-family dwelling units a permit shall not be required for repair or replacement of electrical lighting fixtures or devices, such as receptacles and lighting switches having the same voltage and the same or less amperage.
Plumbing Permit Required
A plumbing permit is required for the installation, extension, relocation, replacement or general repair of any plumbing system. Plumbing permits shall not be required for minor repairs or replacements of plumbing fixtures provided such repairs or replacements do not disrupt the original water supply or the waste and ventilation system.
Replacement of Water Heaters
No permit shall be required for replacement of water heaters in one- or two-family dwellings, provided:
- The energy use rate or thermal input is not greater than that of the water heater which is being replaced.
- There is no change in fuel, energy source, location, routing or sizing of venting and piping.
- The work is performed by a licensed plumbing contractor.
- The replacement is installed in accordance with the current edition of the North Carolina State Building Code.
Mechanical / HVAC Permit Required
Mechanical / HVAC permit is required for the installation, extension, relocation, replacement and general repair of any heating, air-conditioning or venting system.